Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my grandfather's recipe for chili. It's in the same vein as Skyline chili, but not like any other recipes posted on the site. Serve it over pasta (preferably spaghetti) mid-west style with cheese, Tabasco, oyster crackers and sour cream. I usually use ground turkey (tastes the same to me, but traditionally its ground beef). Note: the last three ingredients are put in a cheesecloth bag to soak, if you don't have cheesecloth, or whole allspice, just throw it in and fish them out before serving.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 quart water
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vinegar
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 5 bay leaves
- 3 dried ancho chiles
- 35 whole allspice
- Combine last three ingredients (bay leaves, dried chilies, allspice) in cheesecloth bag.
- Add all ingredients to large stockpot or crockpot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover.
- Let simmer for at least 3 hours.