Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple recipe for a hardy bread that our Grandpa taught us. This is best eaten right out of the oven, with butter! We use a food processor to mix the dough, but I'm sure it could be mixed by hand.
- 3 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 ounce fast rising yeast (Quick or Rapid)
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- Put dry ingredients in a food processor; turn on processor to mix.
- Add warm water till dough binds.
- Place dough on a floured board and knead 3-4 times.
- Shape dough into a ball, put in a warm bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let rise for ½ hour.
- Knead dough again approximately 10 times; return to a warm covered bowl for two hours.
- Sprinkle corn meal on a cookie sheet.
- Knead dough until smooth, form into a loaf shape, place on the cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal; cover with a warm damp towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove towel, score top of loaf several times with a sharp knife.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for about 30 minutes.
This was great bread! I used ground flax meal instead of the wheat bran and made a round loaf. Came out very nicely and was great with butter right out of the oven. Thanks for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2011!
Very easy to make and oh so yummy. I made buns instead of a loaf.