Recipe by kittyjuett
This is a simple recipe for a hardy bread that our Grandpa taught us. This is best eaten right out of the oven, with butter! We use a food processor to mix the dough, but I'm sure it could be mixed by hand.
Top Review by FloridaNative
This was great bread! I used ground flax meal instead of the wheat bran and made a round loaf. Came out very nicely and was great with butter right out of the oven. Thanks for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2011!
- 3 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 ounce fast rising yeast (Quick or Rapid)
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Put dry ingredients in a food processor; turn on processor to mix.
- Add warm water till dough binds.
- Place dough on a floured board and knead 3-4 times.
- Shape dough into a ball, put in a warm bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let rise for ½ hour.
- Knead dough again approximately 10 times; return to a warm covered bowl for two hours.
- Sprinkle corn meal on a cookie sheet.
- Knead dough until smooth, form into a loaf shape, place on the cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal; cover with a warm damp towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Remove towel, score top of loaf several times with a sharp knife.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for about 30 minutes.