1/1 Photo of Grandpa Elzinga's Bread
4 hrs 25 mins
Childhood memories of Sunday evening sandwiches or toast with "dipping jelly" The recipe called for "sifters of flour" so I did my best to convert the measurements. I even felt a little dirty buying lard, but would rather not have it at all than mess with this recipe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt lard.
- 2Sift first installment of white flour into warm water and yeast and mix mixer.
- 3Add honey, lard, salt, dry milk, and sifted wheat flour, continue to mix.
- 4Change to bread hook and add most of last installment of white flour.
- 5Continue to allow to knead, add enough of last flour to have it pull away from sides of mixer.
- 6Oil bowl and drop the dough in, oil on all sides.
- 7let rise 1 1/2 hours in warm place.
- 8punch down and let rise 1 more hour.
- 9divide into 3 and place in 3 greased bread tins rise one more time.
- 10bake 425 for 10 min and 375 for 15 min until hollow sound if tapped (int. temp 190-200).
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandpa Elzinga's Bread
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.7
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 7.3 mg
- Sodium 483.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 8.3 g