Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
My grandpa made this simple soup for us during a recent visit and my husband loved it. After trying a different Sausage and Potato Soup recipe and coming up disappointed, I asked grandpa for his recipe and got the five-star reaction I was hoping for. This soup is hearty, delicious and perfect for a cold winter night! Use spicy sausage if you like a bit of a kick.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 12 -16 ounces pork sausage (like Jimmy Dean)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs potatoes (about 3-4 medium sized)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- In large skillet, melt butter. add onion, celery, sausage. saute until veggies are tender and sausage is browned.
- Stir in flour until blended. add parsley, basil, salt and pepper.
- Slowly blend in chicken broth and diced potatoes.
- Cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Stir in cream and cook until heated through.