Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This comfort food is hard to stop eating this and the leftovers won't last long.
Make and share this Grandmother's Tuna Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni in lightly salted boiling water about 5-7 minute or until macaroni is aldente.
- While macaroni is cooking, beat egg with salt, mustard in pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in cottage cheese, sour cream, milk and 1/2 of cheddar cheese. Save remaining cheese to sprinkle on top. Refrigerate.
- Drain macaroni well and rinse with hot water. Place into 2 quart casserole and keep warm.
- Stir egg mixture into cooked macaroni. Break tuna into chunks, carefully stir tuna into macaroni mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven 45 minute Remove cover and bake 10 minute longer or until lightly browned. Serve hot in casserole or spoon onto 6 plates.
- This recipe is good doubled and can be frozen and re-heated in the microwave!
Pretty good! I was drawn to it by the fact that it was made with cottage cheese instead of a cream soup... and it's healthy. Used brown rice pasta (gluten free). I may add a little seasoning salt next time but it was pretty close to perfect in my opinion. Will make it again!
This recipe has a very good flavor and was a big hit with my hubby...I let him rate it and the only reason he gave it 4 stars is because he missed the crunch of the potato chips on top which is the way I usually make tuna casserole. I liked the fact that it was not made with cream soups so I could make it with lowfat cottage cheese and sour cream. I thought the recipe itself was a little fussy. I just combined all the ingredients, mixed it with the noodles and threw it in the oven...I think it only needs about 30 min to heat thru...Don't forget the peas which I didnt see included in the directions...Overall a good recipe and I would try it again! Thanks for submitting!