Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This comfort food is hard to stop eating this and the leftovers won't last long.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (6 3/4 ounce) can chunk tuna, drained
- 1 cup green peas (partially thawed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni in lightly salted boiling water about 5-7 minute or until macaroni is aldente.
- While macaroni is cooking, beat egg with salt, mustard in pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in cottage cheese, sour cream, milk and 1/2 of cheddar cheese. Save remaining cheese to sprinkle on top. Refrigerate.
- Drain macaroni well and rinse with hot water. Place into 2 quart casserole and keep warm.
- Stir egg mixture into cooked macaroni. Break tuna into chunks, carefully stir tuna into macaroni mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven 45 minute Remove cover and bake 10 minute longer or until lightly browned. Serve hot in casserole or spoon onto 6 plates.
- This recipe is good doubled and can be frozen and re-heated in the microwave!
Pretty good! I was drawn to it by the fact that it was made with cottage cheese instead of a cream soup... and it's healthy. Used brown rice pasta (gluten free). I may add a little seasoning salt next time but it was pretty close to perfect in my opinion. Will make it again!
This recipe has a very good flavor and was a big hit with my hubby...I let him rate it and the only reason he gave it 4 stars is because he missed the crunch of the potato chips on top which is the way I usually make tuna casserole. I liked the fact that it was not made with cream soups so I could make it with lowfat cottage cheese and sour cream. I thought the recipe itself was a little fussy. I just combined all the ingredients, mixed it with the noodles and threw it in the oven...I think it only needs about 30 min to heat thru...Don't forget the peas which I didnt see included in the directions...Overall a good recipe and I would try it again! Thanks for submitting!