Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Old fashioned strawberry goodness! This delicious jam with its rich, fruity Strawberry flavor is lovely served on warm buttered Strawberry and Cream Scones with Devon or Cornish cream (see my Homemade Lemon Clotted Cream) for a traditional English Strawberry Cream Tea. An updated old family recipe. Enjoy!
- Wash, dry and hull the berries. If berries are large, halve them; lightly crush about 1/3 of the berries. Place the berries into a large non aluminum pot and gently fold in the sugar and the lemon juice. Cover and set aside to macerate in a cool place for several hours, or overnight.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce heat to low and simmer for 9 to 15 minutes, stirring often with a stainless steel spoon, until jam just begins to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and let jam come to room temperature, about 1 hour, then cover and cool in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
- Simmer again for 9 to 15 minutes, stirring often, until jam is thickened.
- Working quickly, pour into 8 8-ounce prepared and sterilized canning jars. Fill the jars to within 1/2 inch of the top. Wipe the rim with a clean damp cloth and seal them with 1/4 inch of melted paraffin. Cool the jars overnight. Wipe and seal again if necessary. Store in a cool, dark place.