Grandmother's Raisin Bars
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 10 X15 baking pan, line bottom with parchment paper. Butter parchment set aside.
- Make the filling: Place the raisins and sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse until very finely chopped.
- Transfer to a small saucepan.
- Whisk cornstarch into the water; whisk into pan. Stir in cider. Simmer over med-low heat until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool completely.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a med bowl. In bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream shortening on med speed until smooth. Add brown sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add the flour mixture all at once; beat on low speed until combined. Beat in oats.
- Using an offset spatula, spread half the dough in prepared pan; spread filling on top. Crumble remaining dough over, gently pressing down to conceal filling. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Remove from oven; let cool completely in pan before cutting into squares.