Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was handed down from my husband's Great-Great-Grandmother - his Grana has it written out in her grandmother's own handwriting! In this family, it's made & served like a piece of cake. I made it 24 small pieces because the flavor is pretty strong. I can only have a small piece at a time. Of course, my husband can eat more than that!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- Cream shortening & sugar together.
- Mix in the other ingredients.
- Pour into a well greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until it starts to pull away from the edges and a toothpick comes out clean.
This is a very fast, easy and painless gingerbread to throw together. And the gingerbread itself is wonderful! I made these into individual cupcake size and they baked up fluffy and light. Made for PAC Spring 09.