Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
My oldest son came home with this recipe (and a loaf of the bread) as a gift from his 1st grade teacher about 25 years ago! It has been a family favorite ever since. Thank you Mrs. Binz!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup nuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen, chopped cranberries
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into a large bow.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg, orange peel, and orange juice all at once.
- Stir just until mixture is evenly moist.
- Fold in nuts and cranberries.
- Spoon into a greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.
I made this bread last night and it is absolutely wonderful. Very moist and flavorful! I wouldn't change a thing. Thank you Sharlene, and I thank you too, Mrs. Binz!
This bread is great! I made it yesterday and stored it in the frig last night. It was still moist and delish! I did not add the nuts, because I don't like them. Still great and not too sweet. Was a bit tart but I think that's because I added too much cranberries. Hope you enjoy this delicious and simple treat. Thanks you to Mrs. Bins
A real winner. Made this to have on Thanksgiving morning. Everyone enjoyed it. I put it in two smaller loaf pans and they came out a nice size. Thanks for sharing the recipe Sharlene!! OK its Thanksgiving 2009 and I'm back again for your winner recipe. Thanks again Sharlene!!