Recipe by Sharlene~W
My oldest son came home with this recipe (and a loaf of the bread) as a gift from his 1st grade teacher about 25 years ago! It has been a family favorite ever since. Thank you Mrs. Binz!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup nuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen, chopped cranberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into a large bow.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg, orange peel, and orange juice all at once.
- Stir just until mixture is evenly moist.
- Fold in nuts and cranberries.
- Spoon into a greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.