Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is made in bulk. She usually spends a day making bread, then freezes all but a loaf. The frozen loaves she puts in an old bread bag, then inside of another bread bag. The serving amounts and yield are merely estimates, as this batch makes many small or fewer large loaves.
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening or 3⁄4 cup bacon grease
- 6 cups water, warm
- 8 cups flour, half whole wheat and half white
- 6 more cups flour
- flour, for kneading
- In a small bowl, combine yeast and 1 cups of lukewarm water.
- In a BIG bowl, combine 3/4 cups sugar, salt, shortening, 6 cups water, and the 8 cups of flour. Stir.
- Add yeast and water mixture.
- Add 6 more cups of flour.
- Mix until thick enough to knead. Add more flour if needed.
- Let rise for about 1 hour. Punch it down and let it rise again.
- Put dough in multiple bread pans. Let raise until it looks like a proper loaf.
- Rub a little melted bacon grease on the top to prevent splitting.
- Bake each loaf at 350 for 30 minutes.