Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is my husband's grandmother's fruitcake recipe.
- 1 lb mixed candied fruit (no citron)
- 3⁄4 lb candied cherry, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb candied pineapple, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs pecans or 1 1⁄4 lbs walnuts, chopped
- 1 lb light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups of welch grape jelly
- 1 1⁄2 cups welch grape juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Mix the fruits, nuts, and 1 1/4 cup of flour* (set to the side).
- Sift the rest of the flour, salt, baking powder, and spices together. Add butter, brown sugar, and eggs; beat the mixture.
- In small bowl, mix the jelly and juice together and then add it to the batter.
- Next add the batter to the mixture of (fruits, nuts and flour); place 1/2 the batter into well-greased tube pan, and the other half into another well greased tube pan.
- Place pan of water on rack under the tube pans (keep water in the pan).
- Bake 275°F for 3 to 4 hours.
- Let the cake cool and spoon grape juice on top of cake (twice around).
- Repeat each day until served.
- Cover with foil and keep it real tight.