Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was a recipe handed down from my mother, who aquired it from her mother, thus this is a classic cornbread recipe
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 cup sifted cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup soft shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Sift together the first five ingredients, then add the last three.
- Mix together with fork just until ingredients are blended.
- Pour into greased pan of choice, this usually makes 12 med. sized muffins or an 8x8 square pan.
- Bake at 375-400 degrees for 20-25 minute.
- If the oven must be pre-heated then I suppose that the baker will preheat the oven if it must be.