Recipe by Nado2003
This is BETHANY WEATHERSBY's from AllRecipes.com grandmother's recipe. I must say it is the best cornbread I've ever made and consume. It is sweet and moist, fast and easy to make. In the time it takes to preheat my oven I had prepared the recipe and ready to bake. Tastes so much better than the box kind. I had to put the recipe here because I keep all my favorite recipes on recipezaar.com.
Top Review by PKG
I like my cornbread sweet and moist, and like other reviews have said this is it! Reminds me of Jiffy cornmuffin mix. I baked mine in muffin tins--recipe yielded 12 normal muffins and baked it for 15-20 minutes, until the tops turned a lovely golden color! Thanks for sharing! Yum!
- 1⁄4 lb butter (the same as 1 stick or 1/2 cup)
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 cup less 1 tablespoon of soymilk plus 1 tablespoon of vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes to )
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease an 8 inch square pan.
- Melt butter in large microwavable bowl.
- Stir in sugar.
- Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended.
- In separate container or large measuring cup, combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in bowl.
- Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.