Grandmother’s Buttermilk Pound Cake
- Sift together flour and baking soda.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and almond extract. (Total beating time: 10 minutes.).
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Pour batter into well greased 9 inch tube pan.
- Bake in 350°F oven about 1 hour and 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan on rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on rack.
- Spoon Almond Glaze over top of cake. Let some of glaze drip down sides. Makes 12 servings.
- FOR THE ALMOND GLAZE: Combine 1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar, 2 to 3 Tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoons almond extract. Stir until smooth.
- Country Fair Cookbook.