Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
An heirloom recipe that won a Blue Ribbon. Excellent, fine textured pound cake.
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Sift together flour and baking soda.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and almond extract. (Total beating time: 10 minutes.).
- Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Pour batter into well greased 9 inch tube pan.
- Bake in 350°F oven about 1 hour and 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan on rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on rack.
- Spoon Almond Glaze over top of cake. Let some of glaze drip down sides. Makes 12 servings.
- FOR THE ALMOND GLAZE: Combine 1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar, 2 to 3 Tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoons almond extract. Stir until smooth.
- Country Fair Cookbook.