Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
This if from Paula Deen, who got it from her Grandmother Paul.
- salt and pepper, for seasoning chicken
- Crisco shortening, for frying
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut into pieces
- Heat shortening in a cast iron skillet to 350 degrees F.
- Beat eggs with water in a small bowl.
- In a shallow bowl, season flour with pepper.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture and then coat well in flour mixture.
- Carefully add to hot shortening, in batches if necessary
- Place lid on top of skillet, and fry until brown and crisp.
- Remember that dark meat requires a longer cooking time (about 13 to 14 minutes, compared to 8 to 10 minutes for white meat.).