This if from Paula Deen, who got it from her Grandmother Paul.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat shortening in a cast iron skillet to 350 degrees F.
- 2Beat eggs with water in a small bowl.
- 3In a shallow bowl, season flour with pepper.
- 4Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture and then coat well in flour mixture.
- 5Carefully add to hot shortening, in batches if necessary
- 6Place lid on top of skillet, and fry until brown and crisp.
- 7Remember that dark meat requires a longer cooking time (about 13 to 14 minutes, compared to 8 to 10 minutes for white meat.).
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandmother Paul's Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 887.7
- Calories from Fat 423
- Total Fat 47.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 371.4 mg
- Sodium 1045.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 63.7 g