3 hrs 30 mins
When my husband and I started dating years ago, his grandmother would send down quarts of her Chow-Chow when she found out how much I loved it. Sadly, we lost her sometime after that and the recipe was lost too....or so I thought. My DH's aunt had it! This will scorch very easy. Don't try to rush it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop tomatoes peppers and onions bite-size or smaller.
- 2Put all ingredients in a large pot and cook on low simmer for 3-4 hours. (Recipe says to cook it "slow and cook down low").
- 3Sterilize your canning jars & lids in boiling water.
- 4Fill the jars and place tops on tight.
- 5After filling jars, give them a 45-minute bath in boiling water.
Browse Our Top Chutneys Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chutneys Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandmother Johnson's Tomato Chow-Chow
Serving Size: 1 (5880 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1436.9
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 75.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 354.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.9 g
- Sugars 314.9 g
- Protein 14.9 g