This is a different kind of stuffed pepper. We use a very flavorful bread stuffing. Large scale fights would break out over who got seconds of these…I’m the youngest of the “Grandchildren” on my Dad’s side of the family and I used to help my Grandmom make these just so I could get first “dibs” on them before they hit the dinner table
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -12 italian frying sweet peppers
- 4 cups Italian bread (somewhat stale, but not rock hard)
- 1 (796 ml) can tomatoes with basil
- 1 (375 ml) can pitted black olives, drained roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup locatelli cheese, finely grated
- 6 -7 canned anchovy fillets, mashed or 6 -7 about 2 1/2 tsp anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- additional salt and pepper
- oil (for frying)
- 1wash and thoroughly dry peppers and cut the tops off. Remove seeds and white veins inside, keeping the body of the pepper whole.
- 2Break the bread into pieces of varying size but nothing more than about a half inch square.
- 3Remove the tomatoes from the can and squish into the bread breaking into pices (you may not have to use all the tomatoes in the can… go by how it looks and feels if it’s too dry add some of the juice from the can.) The mixture should be moist but not very wet.
- 4Stir in the rest of the ingredients and incorporate thoroughly.
- 5Stuff the bread mixture into the hollow peppers and level off on the top. (pack them fairly tightly but don’t jam or force the stuffing into the pepper).
- 6Heat about ½ inch of oil in a deep frying pan on about medium high (I like to use half olive oil, half vegetable oil for the flavor).
- 7Fry the stuffed peppers until the skin begins to turn golden brown, the pepper becomes soft and the filling is heated through.
- 8Remove from oil and sprinkle with a little salt, if desired.
- 9Can be served hot, warm or right out of the refrigerator! (p.s omit the anchovy and this is a nice vegetarian (not vegan) dish).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandmom Lena’s Stuffed Italian Frying Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.8
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 5.1 mg
- Sodium 694.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomatoes with basil