Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This is a great recipe that is good on burger's and hot dogs. It is also great as an accompaniment to meat and potatoes. I double or triple this recipe every fall when Zucchini are plentiful. I usually end up giving a jar of this to everyone who tries it. Prep time is approximate and does not include sitting overnight. I cut my prep time by using a food processor to grate the veggies.
- 12 cups zucchini, chopped fine or grated
- 4 cups onions, grated
- 2 cups sweet red peppers, grated
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine the vegetables with the salt in a large non-reactive bowl.
- Leave to sit overnight.
- Day 2: Rinse vegetables in cold water and drain well.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a large pot and cook until mixture starts to thicken.
- Add the vegetables now.
- Cook for 30 minutes boiling slowly.
- Pack in hot, sterilized jar and seal.
5 Stars Made it last year and everyone raved about it! Doubled recipe this year and gave recipe to 3 people also gave some for a wedding gift because they raved about it through someone else I gave it to. Thanks Randy from Wisconsin
Best. Relish. Ever.
I made this with zucchini from my garden, and cant wait to make another batch, this time doubling up on the ingredients. This is a really tasty treat, DH and I ate half a jar at one meal LOL. Only change I made was to add 2 tsps red pepper flakes to give a little zing, as we are zingy kind of people.