Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
low carb, adapted from atkins cookbook
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion, more to taste
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 lbs veal stew meat
- 2 cups water or 2 cups chicken stock
- thyme, tarragon,salt,pepper to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- place bacon, butter, onions and mushrooms in pan, saute until softened, remove and place aside add veal, brown on all sides.
- add bacon mixture back to pot, add water and bring to boil, simmer covered for 1 hr add sour cream, do not boil, granish w/paprika.
This was very good. I used extremely cheap veal stew meal which was SOOOO tender. The stew had a very rich, buttery taste. Very smooth. I felt like it was more of a stroganoff than a stew. The sauce/broth was not thick at all, I don't know if a bit of corn starch would have thickened it up a bit. I served it with buttered egg noodles. We really liked it and would recommend it highly.
This was really creamy but sauce was a bit too thin for us. We served it with popovers but it would have been better over noodles or rice to help soak up the extra sauce.