Recipe by Chef Dee
The comfort food of all time, chicken pot pie makes a great meal for a wintery day. It is also a great feel better meal to deliver to friends who have been ill or grieving. With a touch of sage for a flavour boost, and shortcuts for faster preparation, this is an ideal meal for busy Mom's.
Top Review by bmcnichol
This was good but plain. I followed the recipe except that I only used one cup of mixed veggies and hash browns. I followed the other ingredients as written. I cooked mine for 1 hour at 350.. I liked it but the rest of the family said that it was bland.
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 refrigerated 9-inch pie shells
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 1 beaten egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the potatoes and vegetables in a glass bowl and thaw in microwave, set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook the onions in the butter until soft.
- In a small bowl, stir the flour and seasonings together,then stir this flour mixture into the butter and onions.
- Stir until smooth, then whisk the milk and chicken broth into the flour mixture, stirring until the broth comes to a boil and thickens.
- Add hashbrowns, vegetables and turkey.
- Line a 9" pie plate with one of the crusts, then fill with the turkey mixture.
- Lay the top crust over top,with a sharp knife slice small vents into the top crust.
- Seal the edges together by pinching the two crusts with damp fingers, then brush the top crust with beaten egg.
- Set on middle oven rack and bake for 45 min's at 400 degrees. Let the baked pot pie sit at room temperature for several minutes in order for the juices to thicken up.
- Serve with coleslaw and dinner rolls.