Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the plain old fashioned macaroni salad my grandma used to make, which is still my sister Cathy's favorite.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can tuna in water, drained
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup good mayonnaise (Best Foods, Helmann's, or Vegenaise)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions and let cool.
- Mix in the other items well, adding mayo last.
- Chill well before serving.
- When I make this, I omit the celery, add more dried onion, and add a little curry powder and garlic powder and cayenne.
Simple and quick to put together. This is what I think of as a classic tuna macaroni salad. No frills or anything fancy; just yummy. I used fresh onions in place of the onion flakes but that's all I changed. Thanx for sharing!
Wow, the ingredients seemed too simple to be anything worth getting excited over, but I was wrong! I lessed the salt, added a little black pepper and only used 1 1/2 cup dry noodles. This is, to me, the perfect tuna macaroni salad. I'd like to see more of your grandma's recipes! THANKS!
Simple and tasty! Will be making it again. Thanks for the recipe.