Recipe by Daniel'sWife
This is the only recipe I have from my grandma on my dad's side. My mom got the recipe from her shortly after she met my dad, and she made it often as I was growing up. Now, I make it for my family, and they really enjoy it! The recipe combines some unique flavors and ingredients, which may appear strange. But, I assure you, give it a try and you will likely be surprised at how yummy it is! Serve with veggies, and bread if you like.
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
I like this recipe but with a few adjustments to suit our tastes. We don't like our dishes real goopy/creamy so first off I cut the servings in 1/2 but still used 1 1/4 lb of beef/seasonings & 5 oz (vs 3) of noodles. I found it lacked abit on taste so I put an extra Tbsp of chili sauce. This dish was alittle thick still so I'd increase the water (or use broth). To cut some fat/calories I skipped the cheddar cheese also. A very hearty meal that is easy to put together.
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 10 1⁄2 ounces tomato soup
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce (I used Sweet Thai Chili Sauce. You could also use Sriracha, which is spicier.)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 6 ounces medium egg noodles
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces small curd cottage cheese
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounces mushrooms (fresh or canned)
- 4 ounces sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, paprika, salt, and pepper in large zip top bag. Add meat, shaking well to cover.
- Heat oil in large skillet until rippling and just starting to smoke. Very carefully, add meat to skillet and cook until browned, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, and saute 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce, soup, water, chili sauce, sugar, and oregano. Simmer until meat is tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook egg noodles according to package instructions (usually 6-8 minutes in a quart of boiling, salted water.) Drain noodles.
- Combine meat mixture and noodles with the cream cheese, sour cream, and cottage cheese.
- Gently stir in the mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 2 quart casserole dish, and top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.