Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
My Swedish grandma has been making these meatballs forever, and they are my absolute favorite meal. I hope you like them as much as I do.
- 4 slices white bread
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2-1 lb fine egg noodles, cooked (Mrs. Grass recommended)
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill weed
- For the meatballs, tear bread into small pieces. Add the milk and let soak several minutes (stir around).
- Add eggs and beat until mixed.
- Add bread mixture to ground beef along with parmesan, parsley flakes, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Roll mixture into small balls 1 to 1 ½ inches in diameter.
- Place 1/3 cup oil in a pan and sauté meatballs until brown.
- Remove the meatballs from pan, discard the oil.
- For the sauce, in the same pan over low heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour and let cook for a few minutes but don’t let it brown (should be glossy).
- Whisk in broth and cream and cook stirring constantly until thick and satiny.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in dill.
- Add meatballs to sauce and simmer about 10 minutes, turning several times.
- Serve over noodles.
We thought this was phenominal! We put a dallop of sour cream on top. Excellent. Thank you for sharing! xo LA :-)
Pretty good. The sauce came out a little too thick so maybe a little less flour. Also would bake the meatballs instead next time. Used mostly wheat bread scraps instead of white and it tasted fine. A very neutral hearty dish without any overwhelming flavors. Toddler insisted on sprinkling some garlic powder too ;). AND they ate it!