Recipe by ckmclements
Exactly WHOSE grandma, I do not know, since this was taken from an April 1988 Ladies' Home Journal. Claims to have 55 calories per cookie, but who knows? Prep time does NOT include refrigeration time.
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In mixer bowl cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and lemon peel. Beat in dry ingredients until just combined. Divide dough in half. Wrap tightly and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 cookie sheets. On floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll 1/2 the dough 1/4 inch thick. With a floured cookie cutter, cut out dough. Transfer to prepared cookie sheets and sprinkle with some remaining sugar.
- Bake 6-8 minutes, until edges are golden. Cool on wire racks.