Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
We used to have these at every family function. They were my grandmother's invention, and we love them.
- 6 -8 large green peppers
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef (I use Libby's)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled, chopped and cooked
- 1 (1 lb) can whole tomato (reserve the juice)
- 1 (1 lb) can shoe peg corn, drained
- salt and pepper
- 3 -4 slices bread
- Boil cored peppers in pan with water inside each and in pan.
- until they are lighter in color.
- Remove from pan and drain.
- Chop or "squish" the tomatoes.
- Mix remaining ingredients(except bread and butter), including reserved tomato juice.
- Add enough salt that the mixture tastes overly salty.
- (there's a lot of vegies in this to take up the salt).
- Stuff peppers.
- Tear up bread slices and place on top of each pepper.
- Dot with butter.
- Put back in pan with some water in the bottom.
- Bake at 350-375°, 45 minutes, covered.
- Remove cover and continue baking until bread is browned,.
- 5-10 minutes depending on oven temperature.