Recipe by Mustafa's Cook
Amounts of ingredients will vary based on the number of peppers you want. If making closer to 10 peppers, use 2 8-oz bags of mozzarella cheese and 2 jars of pasta sauce.
Top Review by Gandalf The White
Reviewed for PAC Fall 2011. "Stuffed Peppers" is a familiar recipe throughout the eastern Mediterranean and Middle East, but Syrian cuisine is renowned for its subtle flavor and execution. I made the "smaller" version of this recipe, 6 peppers, and it was wonderful. Clearly, the ingredients go back to a simpler, slower time ... and the flavor in the pepper and in the stuffing reflects that time and care. We had 2 peppers left over, which made a great lunch the next day.
This is an easy recipe and most of the cooking time is unattended, so it really is a simple, elegant, flavorful recipe. Thank you for posting!
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups white rice
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 onion
- 6 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 6 -10 medium green peppers
- 16 ounces pasta sauce
- 1 pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Clean peppers thoroughly inside and out.
- Mix by hand all ingredients except for the pasta sauce and the mozzarella cheese. If, after adding can of tomatoes mixture still feels too "wet", add more rice until the consistency is a little more solid. More Parmesan cheese may be added if wanted.
- Boil peppers in a large pot of water for about five minutes or until soft. place inside your baking/casserole dish when each is finished. Open jar of pasta sauce and add one full tablespoon inside each pepper. I like to use Prego.
- Using a clean tablespoon, add stuffing mix by spoonful until each pepper is completely full, be careful not to break them.
- Dump the rest of the pasta sauce into the baking/casserole dish to cover the bottom of the peppers. Add a small amount of water to the jar, swish around and add to pan.
- After about 2 1/2 hours, remove peppers from oven and top with mozzarella cheese. Return to oven for another half hour or until cheese melts.