Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
A recipe given to me by my grandmother. I like this one quite a bit, but have not yet had a chance to actually make one on my own. I have, however, assisted my grandmother when she's made some, usually around Thanksgiving...
- 6 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces (frozen works, too.)
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup spelt flour (try Arrowhead Mills)
- 1 cup oats
- 3⁄4 cup date sugar or 3⁄4 cup maple sugar
- 3⁄4 cup chilled vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease an 8x11 inch baking dish. Fill dish with rhubarb. Cover with sliced strawberries. Drizzle all over with agaves nectar, and then set the baking dish aside.
- Pulse in food processor, or cut together flour, oats, date sugar, and chilled vegetable shortening until mixture has the consistency of a coarse granola. Don’t overdo it, you don’t want a paste! Takes about 30 short pulses.
- Top fruit with crumble and bake about 40 minutes until fruit is bubbling up around the sides. Reduce heat to 350 degrees if the top is browning too quickly.