Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
This recipe came from my grandmother. Whenever this cake is made, it dissapears immediately. The strawberry flavor is so good and no one will believe how simple it is to make. Frozen strawberries can be used, but fresh ones are best. Prep time is a guess and does not include refrigerating overnight. Cook time is for the cake.
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix (make sure it is white)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons strawberry gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄4 cups crushed strawberries
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 1 (16 ounce) container whipped topping
- Prepare cake mix as directed in 9 x13 pan, let cool.
- While cake is baking, dissolve gelatin in boiling water.
- When completely dissolved, stir in strawberries, sugar, and sour cream.
- Place strawberry mixture in refrigerator until cake is cool.
- When cake is cool to the touch, poke holes all over the top with the end of a wooden spoon or chopstick.
- Pour strawberry mixture all over cake.
- Frost with whipped topping.
- Refrigerat overnight to allow strawberry mixture soak into the cake.
- Note: The strawberry mixture is very runny, but will soak into the cake if ALOT of holes are poked on top of the cake and it is allowed to chill overnight.
This was good but I was disappointed that the topping didn't sink into the cake.
I baked this one last night.. Very delicious. I may have mashed the strawberries a little much which made the pour on topping a little runny. Will make again...A really big hit. Thanks for sharing Geri