Prep 168 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Good old fashioned pickles from Grandma. This recipe is nearly 100 years old, passed from generation to generation. These are great pickles, and really very easy.
- Slice cucumbers about 1/8 inch thick.
- Pour salt over cucumbers.
- Pour enough boiling water over all to cover.
- Stir and let stand 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard brine.
- In a saucepan, combine vinegar, 1 cup sugar, spices and alum.
- Bring to a boil.
- Put cucumbers in a large glass jar or plastic bucket with lid or a stoneware crock.
- Pour boiling vinegar mixture over cucumbers.
- Cover and let stand.
- Next day, and each consecutive day for 5 days total, stir in one additional cup of sugar.
- Do not reheat when sugar is added.
- At the end of the 5th day, pickles are done and may be stored in covered jar.
- Do not seal jars.
- Pickles will keep indefinitely and get better with age.
hi donna. my name is pat and i want to thank you for the wonderful pickle recipe. it wasent only very,very tasty but it was easy too. rite up my ally. what i would like to know though is can i put them in a jar with a lid and put them in the fridg. to keep. i dont want to processes them just cover them so they stay fresh till thanksgiving. your friend for ever lal pat