Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
These muffins are the perfect combination of sweet, savoury, and tart. The presentation. with the sliced apples and glaze, is beautiful. The recipe, by Donna Bardocz of Howell, Mich., was the grand-prize winner in "Cook's Country" muffins contest. The tasters loved the combination of apples and cheddar cheese, and the cinnamon glaze was the crowning touch. Note: Crisp sweet apples like Macon, Jonagold, Cortland & Empire are recommended.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into /2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 lb apple, peeled, halved, cored and sliced crosswise into thin half-moons (2-3 apples)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For the muffins: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375°F Grease and flour 12-cup muffin tin. Pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and cheese in food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal and transfer to large bowl. Whisk egg and milk in measuring cup, then slowly stir into flour mixture until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin. Arrange apple slices on top of batter, pressing gently to adhere. Bake until edges of muffins are just golden, about 15 minutes.
- For the glaze: While muffins are baking, heat sugar, water, butter, lemon juice and cinnamon in saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Once edges of muffins are just golden brush muffins with glaze. Return to oven and bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 10 minutes. Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to rack. Cool 10 minutes longer. Serve.
Tip: when pouring the cinnamon syrup over the top, use a utensil that lets you lift the muffins up to get the syrup under. This makes them so moist and yummy! My family loves these muffins!