Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is my great grandma's spaghetti sauce recipe. My mom made this growing up and I could sit and eat it by the spoonful. With a nice chunk of garlic bread. This is my absolute favorite spaghetti sauce of all time. Additional veggies can be added. This recipe also freezes very well.
- 36 ounces ketchup
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes in puree
- 28 ounces tomato puree
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (9 ounce) can mushroom pieces, drained
- Brown hamburger and onion in Dutch oven. Drain fat.
- Combine remaining ingredients in pot.
- Let simmer 3-4 hours stirring occasionally.
- *Use meatballs instead of hamburger for a tasty variation.
This is very similar to my grandma's spaghetti sauce -- at least in flavor! I added a bay leaf to the simmering sauce, otherwise, made as directed. Thanks, Chef on the Coast, for a nostalgic spaghetti sauce! Made for Aussie New Zealand Recipe Swap.