Recipe by Thistlethorne
My grandmother brought this recipe with her from Scotland and always served it at the holidays (or whenever we wanted a special treat). I've translated her measurements into U.S. but the recipe is the same.
Top Review by sun10down
THis is my first try at any shortbread cookie - in my search for the ultimate 'Panera' like shortbread. I found the texture of these to be close - I think where they 'miss the mark' is on sweetness. Still enjoyed with a glass of milk! If you have any suggestions - I'd love to hear them.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter (no substitutions)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sugar (granulated or colored)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 350°.
- Mix all ingredients by hand for the proper texture, except the sugar.
- Roll out cookie dough to about 1/4-inch thick and cut out using your favorite cookie shapes.
- Pierce top of cookies with fork and decorate with colored sugar or sprinkle with regular granulated sugar.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until light brown around the edges.