- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 cups rye flour
- 4 -5 cups white flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the sugar, shortening, salt, molasses with the 2 cups of boiling water set aside to cool.
- In separate bowl put yeast and 1/2 cup warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- combine cooled ingredients and yeast. Add Rye flour and white flour. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let rise for up to 1 1/2 hours or until doubled. Punch down and roll into 2 loafs. Let rise for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 60 to 70 minutes.