Recipe by Hope Evarts
This is my grandmother's potato dalad recipe. I have no idea where she got it, but it has been a family staple for every family gathering I can remember.
- 11 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 7 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 lbs potatoes, cut into large chunks and dice (I like the red, but it is up to you)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix 6 tablespoons of olive oil, the garlic, salt, pepper and herbs. Add potatoes and toss. Spread out onto a baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. When potatoes are golden brown remove the pan from the oven and let cool. When potatoes are cool, place them in a bowl and scrape the pan drippings into a measuring cup. Add enough oil to the drippings to measure 6 tablespoons of oil. Whisk the vinegar and mustard in a small bowl. Gradually add the oil and then mix in the onions. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and combine. Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Add chopped basil. Let stand for 1 hour at room temperature. Serve.