Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
My Grandmother always had these on hand whenever we would come to visit. We always gobbled them up. I never truly appreciated them tho, until I finally was given the recipe and realized the TIME that went into them. I recommend making the filling one day and the cookies the next.. just saves you that much time. I also like to just underbake a hair... I'll probably be strung and hung for sharing her recipe..:)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs raisins
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 6 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- Raisin Mixture: Soak raisins in hot water.
- When plumb and soft, drain water and grind.
- Put in saucepan and add sugar, salt, and water.
- Mix the flour with just enough water to make smooth paste, then add to raisin mixture.
- Let come to boil, then set off to cool.
- Cookie: In large mixing bowl, cream together butter& sugar.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add milk and vanilla.
- Mix until well blended.
- Combine dry ingredients together and add to butter mixture.
- Roll out onto flour surface to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut with round cutter.
- Lay on cookie sheet, and add 1 Tablespoon (about) ground raisin mixture to each cookie.
- Top with another round cookie, pinch sides together.
- Bake@ 350 8-10 minutes or until just starting to brown.
This is the raisin filled cookie recipe I have been searching for! I've tried others and came away very disapointed. I think I know what the difference is! This filling is cooked with flour giving you a true "filling". The others just has raisins in the middle. This is an exceptional recipe. My hubby thanks you podapo!! I will make these often!
Your grandma is a cookie making genius, yes they take time but worth every second, and if she strings and hangs you i have to say that i am sorry but it is worth it in the end lol... these are really wonderfull cookies, thanks so much for sharing! Donna:)
I acutally had to throw the first batch of cookies dough down the garbage disposal because it was too soft. I then ran back to the grocery and bought the ingredients again. My cookies just did not turn out.. I loved the filling though