1/2 Photos of Grandma's Rainy Day Kimchi Noodle Soup
This is a variation of another dish my grandmother made when she stayed with us. Don’t let the number of ingredients freak you out. They’re mostly seasoning and spices and not a lot of chopping, mincing, or dicing. Bok choy and shitake mushrooms are two of my favorite vegetables and I added these two items to the recipe. I also switched out the anchovies broth for water and added dashida, which is a soup stock that comes in anchovy, clam or beef flavors. I use beef dashida.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces of fresh Chinese egg noodles (Lo mein noodles)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces pork tenderloin, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 6 -8 cups water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dashida, powder (Beef flavored soup stock)
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 2 cups cabbage kimchi, chopped in big pieces
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 7 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1-inch squares
- 4 baby bok choy, quartered
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- salt and pepper (Add a little salt and pepper at a time and taste as you go. The kimchi and soy sauce may be enough s)
- sriracha sauce (Optional but highly recommended.)
- 1In a large pot add vegetable oil and garlic and sauté until soft. Add pork and cook until it is slightly browned. Season with salt, pepper and rice wine vinegar and stir for 2 minutes. Add kimchi and sauté for 3 minutes.
- 2Add the water, soy sauce, dashida, and ginger. Stir and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes. Add the mushrooms and tofu and turn up the heat to medium. Cook for 3 minutes.
- 3Carefully add the egg noodles, bok choy and just enough water to cover all of the ingredients. Stir gently and scrape the bottom of the pot to make sure the noodles are not sticking. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- 4Putting It All Together.
- 5Equally divide the soup in four large bowls. Drizzle the sesame seed oil and top with scallions. For that extra kick and flavor, add sriracha sauce (For those who can handle the heat).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Rainy Day Kimchi Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (683 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 685.6
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 132.6 mg
- Sodium 854.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 35.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar