Recipe by Noob'sKitchen
I was overwhelmed when I first asked my Grandmother for this recipe and she handed me what looked to be a novel of instructions! But when I finally steeled myself to undergo this gargantuan culinary feat, I realized it wasn't so bad. You will too :) You can reduce the salt content to taste, and the amount of butter in the pie filling to 1/8 cup if you prefer. Either way, this recipe is not for dieters! I also like to make serving-size pies - they freeze beautifully!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, roughly chopped
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sauce (see below)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) can 2% evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 -6 tablespoons ice cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the crust: Combine the flour, cheese and salt in a bowl or in food processor with a pastry blade.
- Cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter, 2 knives, or pulse in food processor til mix is crumbly.
- Mix in the water a tablespoon at a time until the dough begins to stick together, or gathers in a ball in your food processor.
- Pat into a 4 inch disc, wrap with plastic wrap and place in fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Make the white sauce: Melt the butter over medium heat and whisk in flour. Let it sit for 1 min, then whisk in evaporated milk, then salt. Bring to a gentle boil until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Make the Pie Filling: melt butter over medium and saute the onion and garlic until the onion starts to get tender (about 3 minutes).
- Add the carrots and celery and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the broth, white sauce and dijon. Boil over medium, stirring constantly until sauce is combined and thick. (About 3 minutes again).
- Remove from heat. Add the chicken and the cheddar, stirring til the cheese melts.
- Pour into pie dish or mini-pie dishes.
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Grab your dough and roll out to size on a lightly floured surface, (giving it a few smacks with the rolling pin to make it easier to work with, if required).
- Place your crust over the pie(s), and cut a "X" in the center of each with a sharp knife, careful not to pull the crust from its position.
- Bake 40-45 minutes on a foil-lined sheet, (cause things might get a little messy), til crust is a deep golden brown.