- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 9 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate eggs.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and mace.
- Beat egg yolks, then add sugar and beat until lemon-colored, add lemon extract.
- In a large bowl, cream butter.
- Add dry ingredients, cream well, add egg and sugar mixture and beat well, add egg whites and blend well.
- Bake 1 hour or slightly longer at 325 degrees until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- If edges are dark brown you've baked it too long.