Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
For a classic potato salad, this is hand's down the best I've ever tasted. It is time consuming, but the end result is definately worth it! This is more of a white color potato salad, don't make the mistake of adding mustard to color it...I tried it once and it ruined the taste...tasted like any other potato salad. This makes lots, but it goes fast!
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3⁄4 cup salad dressing
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 6 lbs red potatoes, peeled,cooked and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- diced green pepper (optional)
- paprika (to garnish)
- In top of a double boiler over boiling water, heat water, butter and vinegar.
- In bowl, beat eggs, add sugar and cornstarch.
- Add to butter mixture, cook and stir constantly until thick, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Stir in the salad dressing and fold in the whipped cream.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, onions and green onions, celery, green pepper if using, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over, toss and mix gently.
- Garnish with sliced hard cooked eggs and paprika.
Thanks so much for posting this. It's wonderful because the sauce doesn't absorb into the potatoes, even after a day of setting in the fridge. I'm going to use this sauce for macaroni salad as well. What a great recipe. Thank you very much.