Recipe by Mr Dan1960
This was my Grandma's recipe for potato salad of course I have tweaked it up a bit, however it still is hers and tastes every bit as good as 40 years ago.
Top Review by lauralie41
DH is the potato salad lover in our house and he said to rate this potato salad recipe a definite 5! I didnt read the instructions carefully and missed two steps. :( I did peel and cube my potatoes then boiled and didnt marinate them in the apple cider vinegar overnight. Added the apple cider vinegar to the mayonnaise mixture, used onion powder instead of green onions, doubled the eggs to 4 and mayo to 2 cups, added dried tarragon, instead of 3 pickles used sweet pickle relish, celery seed in place of the celery, and 1 packet of Truvia sugar substitute. With the changes I made this was still a very good potato salad and loved the zip from the mustard and the slight licorice flavor of the tarragon. Served with Debbwl's Recipe #393140 #393140 and enjoyed them both a lot. Made and reviewed for the French Forums June's Herb and Spice Tag Game - Tarragon.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs idaho potatoes
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 5 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 medium sweet pickles, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes into a large heavy-bottomed pot.
- Cover with cold water and place over medium heat.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
- Immediately reduce heat and remove lid.
- Gently simmer until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain and place into an ice bath to cool.
- Remove skin.
- Slice potatoes into rounds then half and place into a zip top bag.
- Add the vinegar and toss to coat all of the potatoes.
- Place the bag into the refrigerator overnight.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, green onions, tarragon, garlic, pickles, diced hard boiled eggs, sugar, onions, and celery.
- Once evenly combined, add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Let the salad chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.