Prep 1 min
Cook 0 mins
This is my husband's all time favorite. I got this from Taste of Home Magazine.
Make and share this Grandma's Potato Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 5 eggs (3 of them hard boiled)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream, whipped (I use half and half or just milk, it's a little runny but works if beaten very cold)
- 6 lbs red salad potatoes, cooked, peeled and sliced (I just use regular potatoes and cube)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 leaf lettuce (optional)
- In the top of a double boiler over boiling water, heat water, butter and vinegar. (I skip the double boiler and just prepare over very low heat and have never had a problem.) In a bowl, beat two eggs (the ones that are not hard boiled); add sugar and cornstarch. Add to butter mixture; cook and stir constantly until thick, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Stir in the mayonnaise; fold in the whipped cream.
- In a large bowl, toss potatoes, onion, green onions, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over and mix gently. Chill. Serve in a lettice lined bowl if desired. Garnish with the 3 hard cooked eggs and sprinkle with paprika.