4 hrs 40 mins
John 11-44's Note:
Placek (plah-sek) in Polish just means cake, but placek around back home (and probably other cities with a high Polish population) refers to a sweet yeast bread topped with sugary crumble, with golden raisins served on Easter. You hardly see placek, which is a shame! This bread can also be wrapped well and frozen, then taken out as necessary for eating and giving away, meaning it can be made ahead of time! Placek is the kind of bread that begs to be spread with butter - it's not like a moist sour cream coffee cake. It has a drier crumb, making it an even better partner to coffee or tea.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 lb butter (4 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 10 eggs
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast (not rapid rise)
- 1/2 cup very warm water (not too hot, see yeast package)
- 6 cups flour (approximately)
- 1 lb golden raisin (mixed with flour to prevent sticking)
- 1Warm milk over low heat until scalded (soft bubbles form around edge of pot) but not boiling.
- 2Add butter and remove from heat.
- 3Mix in sugar, salt, nutmeg and vanilla. Let cool.
- 4Meanwhile, sprinkle yeast into water in 2 cup measure,
- 5stir in 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
- 6Let stand undisturbed to “proof” about 10 minutes.
- 7Add eggs to milk mixture, one at a time, beating well.
- 8Add yeast-in-water mixture.
- 9Add flour with raisins.
- 10Knead dough 5 minutes, adding extra flour as needed.
- 11Placed kneaded dough into greased pan and grease top of dough to prevent it from drying out. Keep warm to rise until double, about 1 to 2 hours.
- 12Knead dough again (for 5 minutes) and put into greased loaf pans. Let rise 1 to 2 hours again.
- 13This recipe makes approximately 1 bunt, 2 large and 2 small loaf pans.
- 14Crumble topping ingredients together.
- 15Add topping to bread in loaf pans.
- 16Preheat oven and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
- 17Bread is done when tester comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma's Placek
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 50
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.2
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 60.1 mg
- Sodium 186.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 3.9 g