Prep 24 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Our family also calls this *Funeral Cake* as it is a standby to bring to funerals at church. Mine never tastes nearly as good as my MIL's.....sometimes when I'm hungry for it I cheat and just make a white cake mix and top with the homemade frosting!
- Cake: Sift flour and sugar together 3 times, add boiling water and let stand overnight.
- In the morning beat the egg whites, salt, and cream of tarter.
- When stiff add baking powder and vanilla.
- Add to overnight batter.
- Fold into prepared 9x13 pan, bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Frosting: Cook ingredients in double boiler until thick.
- Frost cake and sprinkle with nuts.