Recipe by Sandy in Oklahoma
We had chicken every Sunday for dinner when I was growing up. This was one of my favorites..loved how it smelled when I came in from playing. My kids loved it too!
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup celery, cut fine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄8 tablespoon red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: This recipe works best with pieces of chicken with bone. Boneless breasts tend to dry out and get overdone with this recipe.
- Cook chicken in the hot shortening in a large ovenproof skillet until a rich golden color.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and pour over chicken in skillet. Cover tightly and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and put pan in 350°F oven for 35 to 60 minutes (pieces with bone will take much longer to bake than boneless breasts). As the chicken bakes, baste it frequently with the sauce.