Prep 9 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the Macaroni and Cheese that i grew up with. It is very easy to make and will add a delightful side dish to any meat such as Ham or Turkey. NOTE: When adding milk, do not make the noodles float.
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 cup milk (approx)
- 2 teaspoons salt (during boiling)
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust for taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (adjust for taste)
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 large egg
- Boil 4-6 cups of water in a pot on the stove.
- Add 2 tsp salt.
- Add in 1 cup Elbow Macaroni noodles.
- Boil for 7 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- When finished boiling, pour macaroni into a strainer basket and then add to a 9"x9"x1.5" oven safe (preferably pyrex) dish.
- Scramble the egg, then add the egg to the 1 cup of milk.
- Add in salt and pepper, mix well.
- Add to macaroni the milk, egg, salt, pepper mixture (Ensure the noodles do not float).
- mix in 6-8 oz of cheese.
- Add the remaining cheese to the top. Try to cover all the noodles on top.
- Place dish in center rack in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Top layer of cheese should be slightly golden brown on the sides.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly and serve. May be microwaved for enjoyment again and again.