Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
After resurrecting this recipe when Mom almost lost it, it's a long-time family favorite. Similar to many "old time" recipes but with many fewer eggs and separating and folding in the egg whites to lighten the texture. But this is NOT a dry cake, and so full of flavor it can stand alone on the plate! ENJOY!
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, rind of
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- Heat oven to 350 degs. Grease a tube pan or bundt pan.
- In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks and lemon rind.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and add to creamed mixture alternating with milk.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites and salt until stiff. Mix some of whites into batter, and then fold batter into remaining whites.
- Pour into pan and bake for 30-45 mins, until it tests as done.