Prep 35 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
The amazing orange nut bread I always enjoy at Grandma's house - perfect!
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 large oranges, rind of
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups sugar (1 for bread, 1 for peel)
- Candied Orange Peel (may substitue w/ store-bought).
- Boil orange rinds in a pot of boiling water, covered, until tender.
- Usually, this is about 45 minutes for me.
- Drain and rinse with cold water, and scrape away the white membrane.
- I use a large spoon, be sure not to get any of the orange part.
- Once complete, chop the rind into small strips, approx 1/2" long.
- Bring the 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar to a boil, and add the chopped rinds.
- Be careful not to overcook- 25 minutes usually works for me.
- You want them to be in between soft& hard.
- Once finished, you can store in a jar or use right away to make the bread.
- Orange Nut Bread.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift the dry ingredients, and blend with the shortening.
- Beat the egg slightly, and combine with milk.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Fold in nuts and candied orange peel.
- Bake in greased loaf pan for 1 hour or until done.