Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
My Mom has been making this for 20 years. This is a very dense, moist cake, maybe closer to a pound cake, but that's what I like about it. We added the raisins to the recipe, so you could omit them. I also like to add Walnuts, some day I may also add some coconut. This is great warm or cold.
- 2 1⁄4 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup raisins, soaked in hot water to plump (drain)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 powdered sugar
- Sift dry ingredients, cut in butter. Stir in molasses, egg, applesauce, raisins.
- Pour into greased and floured 8" square pan. Bake 350 for 40-45 minute.
- Drizzle with glaze when cool.
Wonderful, wonderful cake! Pretty much followed the recipe, though I used homemade applesauce & increased the amount of raisins to 1 generous cup! This cake was made to be shared with a neighbor couple, but I'll tell you right now ~ The next time I make it, it'll all be for just the 2 of us right here at home! Thanks so much for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]