Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Delicios old world flavor chicken and dumpling soup. This is a simple chicken stock soup. If you like you can add vegetables of your choice.
- 3 lbs chicken
- 2 quarts water
- 10 hard rolls (Kaiser rolls)
- 1 -2 cup warm milk
- 1⁄2 cup Canadian bacon, diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 small onion, diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Slice hard rolls thinly and place in a large bowl; set aside to dry overnight.
- Add the water to the chicken, season to taste and cook slowly for several hours.
- An hour or so before serving time, make soup balls as follows:
- Soak bread in warm milk. Bread should be moist, but not soggy.
- If using, fry onion and bacon in butter until onion is tender (If not using skip to step 7).
- Stir onion and bacon into moist bread.
- Add parsley flakes, eggs, salt and pepper to bread.
- Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Shape into large dumplings.
- Drop into boiling soup.
- Simmer uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until dumplings rise to surface.
It was good... not sure if I like the bread used for the dumplings, but overall it was delicious!